Release Notes - Element - Version 1.0.4
- [ELM-147] - Resolve issue regarding meshing large thick lattices
- [ELM-206] - Crash: pressing Esc while in the Rule Builder
- [ELM-210] - Resolve serialization issue with 'nan'
- [ELM-211] - make mesh initialize massProp values, and make function return -1 if fails
- [ELM-207] - Usage bug: None of custom rules work with 1-surface conformal and 2-surface conformal
- [ELM-208] - Usage bug: Attractor modifier works as Repeller modifier, Repeller modifier works as Attractor modifier in the Warp tool
Release Notes - Element - Version 1.0.0
- [ELM-72] - CAD bodies are displayed in scene after being generated in Interchange
- [ELM-79] - Modifier drop off graphs save parametrically
- [ELM-80] - Surface lattice rules saving and opening properly
- [ELM-101] - Modifiers (point only) unaffected after deleting CAD object
- [ELM-116] - Rule Builder interaction debugged
- [ELM-121] - Warp tool works on any lattice
- [ELM-132] - Ribbed lattice volume calculation does not affect project saving/closing
- [ELM-134] - Flat shader properly multiplying normals by the model matrix
- [ELM-135] - Mesh refining and smoothing bug-free!
- [ELM-145] - Imported and topology-specific lattice rules work in generator
- [ELM-146] - Vector Field Lattice Z-Tri rule debugged
- [ELM-160] - Quad-thickening graphical issue resolved
- [ELM-169] - Object Info in place for modifier surfaces and ODB
- [ELM-171] - Trim function fixed for lattices w/ quad surfaces
- [ELM-172] - Attractor Tool works for lattices w/ faces
- [ELM-173] - Clean-up Tool works for lattices w/ faces
- [ELM-177] - Boolean tool debugged
- [ELM-201] - Right-click 'Delete' disabled while using a tool
- [ELM-29] - 2-Surface Conformal Lattice tool brought up to spec
- [ELM-39] - Remeshing tool
- [ELM-40] - Support n-sided meshes
- [ELM-56] - Snapping added when using gimbal in Rule Builder
- [ELM-61] - "More" dropdown for when the toolbar extends past the window
- [ELM-92] - Text scaling consistent throughout program
- [ELM-124] - Importing to Rule Builder does not automatically add new rule
- [ELM-131] - Multiple surface functionality added to Surface Modifier tool
- [ELM-138] - Transform tool brought up to spec
- [ELM-139] - Settings dialogue window brought up to spec
- [ELM-162] - 'Add face' mode in Rule Builder exits by clicking existing point (for tri faces)
- [ELM-174] - Warp tool brought up to spec
- [ELM-2] - Lattice units containing surfaces are supported throughout program
- [ELM-8] - Trasformation tool
- [ELM-21] - Add beam tool
- [ELM-27] - Warp (forging) tool
- [ELM-28] - Offset Surface tool
- [ELM-30] - 1-Surface Conformal Lattice tool
- [ELM-38] - Meshes can be used as custom modifiers
- [ELM-41] - Scene objects can be duplicated without history
- [ELM-63] - CAD Bodies can be used as custom modifiers
- [ELM-117] - Asterisk (*) for locked rules in Rule Library
- [ELM-123] - Level set function used to mesh surfaces
- [ELM-127] - Rules with surfaces can be added to the Rule Library
- [ELM-128] - Surfaces are displayed in the object outliner
- [ELM-129] - Surface rules are imported from the local directory
- [ELM-130] - Refinement of face adding in Rule Builder
- [ELM-137] - Voxel Objects and Lattices are hard-transformed
- [ELM-140] - ODB Import units dialog window in place
- [ELM-148] - Quad prism rule added for generating surface lattices on quad-meshes
- [ELM-157] - Warning prompt when closing Element with edited project rules
- [ELM-161] - Rule Builder allows import of .obj, .stl, and .ply objects
- [ELM-176] - Conformal tools throw alert when volume rather than surface objects are selected as inputs
- [ELM-181] - Proper editing and mapping of .obj, .ply, and .stl objects imported into Rule Builder
Release Notes, 0.15.17
This update adds a new (!) Pro tool, improvements to our Boolean tool, and various usability improvements.
- For our Pro users, this update adds a new
Extracttool. This tool allows you to import a mesh or CAD part and isolate a subsection of it. This is especially useful for isolating regions to create surface or vector field lattices on.
Pore throat sizeproperty to the
Object infopage for thickened stochastic lattices. This data is also exportable via XML!
- Nested shells now supported in the boolean tool.
- When you open a file browser, it now remembers the last folder you were in from one session to the next.
- Fixed crash on import of Parasolid binary (.x_b) files.
- Fixed crash when exiting through the File menu and pressing Exit.
- Offset lattice NAN value in lattices crash fixed.
- Fixed crash when generating lattice w/ empty rules.
- Ctrl-clicking in outliner no longer allowed in tools that only take 1 input.
- Caps lock no longers effects shortcut keys.
- Labels in tools made more uniform.
Release Notes, 0.15.9
This release includes a streamlined import/export process and a few additional productivity improvements.
- In the Rule Builder, we now allow you to preview a full lattice by ticking the
- Importing objects is now done through one streamlined window! Import meshes and/or CAD bodies, and open .elem files all from the
- Exporting objects is also improved! To export a part, just right click it in the outliner and click on
- Boolean objects have icon in outliner now.
- Panning now enabled in rule builder viewport.
- We improved Vector field lattice filling on certain meshes.
- In the Stochastic tool,
Iterationsare auto populated based to 10x the target number of beams.
- Hide the input objects in lattice mesher & boolean tool as soon as a new object is generated so as not to occlude the new object.
- Fixed a bug where certain parts of a multi-body lattice woudldn't be meshed.
- For custom units, point mapping is more robust.
- Fixed bug in loading two variably thickened lattices.
- Fixed crash in Vector modifier tool when delete key is pressed.
- Fixed rare crash when opening file saved with CADBodies pre 0.15.1.
- Fixed a bug where lattices created with user defined rules wouldn't be shown as dirty when the lattice rule was updated.
- Fixed crash when double-clicking to edit a lattice that has been modified upstream from the Attract Tool.
- Now showing correct bounding box & volume of CADObjects when opening a .elem file containing them.
- Fixed a bug that was showing a dirty object as clean when collapsed in the outliner.
- Disabled a crash when re-generating dirty CADObjects -- for now, if you need to update a CADObject, please run a new CAD interchange operation on the dirty thick lattice object instead of double-click opening & updating.
- Fixed a bug causing the Rule Library to show incorrect rules if it stays open while you open a new file.
Release Notes, 0.15.1
This is a major release, and includes a few big new features and key bug fixes. Update!
Rule Builderis now upgraded to allow user defined lattice rules! You can create your own lattice rules or import them via our Parasolid Import feature. Note that only straight line segments are currently supported. We're also still working on further upgrades to allow for user defined lattice rules to be stored and shared.
- We added a
Booleantool to allow for thick lattices to be combined with meshes and Parasolid bodies.
- You can now view and edit the random seed in the stochastic tool.
- Warp to shape is now faster & can handle lattices up to millions of elements
- Centimeters now a valid input scale when importing meshes.
- The object outliner now allows for horizontal scrolling.
- Upgraded our lattice generation & mapping system so it's faster & more robust.
- Rule builder GL view is much bigger.
- We improved the fill method in our
Stochastictool to fill parts more regularly, even in thin areas.
- Fixed a bug that caused beam length in the
Vector FieldLattice tool to display incorrectly.
- Fixed a bug that caused rule scale to display incorrectly in the
- Enabled wireframe and ghost states to be toggled while the object is an input to a tool.
- File system now starts in last used folder on all platforms.
Clean uptool now updates correctly when an object under it has been edited.
- Fixed crash in CAD generation of thick lattice objects made from
Stochasticbutton text renders properly on all environments now.
Release Notes, 0.14.54
This update is a patch to 0.14.50 that allows full access to all tool modules with the Pro Demo license.
Release Notes, 0.14.50
This update is a patch to 0.14.49 that fixes a bug in opening files from 0.14.43 that contain stochastic lattice structures. The release notes from 0.14.48 are included in case you didn't update to that version:
- 14.48: A new rule -
Surface beams,was added to the Stochastic module for Pro users. This tool allows users to generate randomly oriented beams on surfaces.
- 14.48: Tool input objects are now selectable in the main view! Previously, you needed to select each object by clicking in the Outliner, but now we let you click in the 3D view too. Fun :)
- In the Measure utility, we changed the text from "Centerpoint" to "Position".
- 14.48: When you access the file system, the default location is now correct as the last location you used.
- 14.48: Deleting CAD Objects no longer deletes the entire tree underneath it.
- 14.49: Bug when opening files containing stochastic lattice structures from version 14.43 only.
Release Notes, 0.14.49
This update includes a big enhancement in the way we allow objects to be selected, and adds a second stochastic rule for our Pro users.
- A new rule -
Surface beams,was added to the Stochastic module for Pro users. This tool allows you to generate randomly oriented beams on surfaces.
- Tool input objects are now selectable in the main view! Previously, you needed to select each object by clicking in the outliner, but now we let you click in the 3D view too. Fun :)
- In the Measure utility, we changed the text from "Centerpoint" to "Position."
- When you access the file system, the default location is now correct as the last location you used.
- Deleting CAD Objects no longer deletes the entire tree underneath it.
Release Notes, 0.14.42
This update brings big improvements to the way Element handles dimensions & measurements, plus fixes a bug in our Parasolid® generation process.
- We've got a measure tool! It currently allows you to get information about nodes and mesh vertices (location and, if applicable, diameter) and distances between them. It's pretty great :)
- We added dimensions to the 3D view in the Generate tool, which allows you to preview how big the lattice unit will be.
- We added a "Heat map" view, which allows you to preview the effect of any modifier it the main scene.
- We added new fill methods for volumetric units, allowing you to fill a part completely - or only place lattice cells that are completely inside the part.
- We upgraded our LTCX file format to support units!
- We upgraded our mesh reduction method to run faster and create meshes with fewer intersections.
- We made the Split feature's progress bar more accurate and cancelable.
- We put the software version number in Element's title bar, so that you can always be sure you're up to date :)
- Fixed a crash when generating Parasolid® lattices.
- Fixed the Tet vertex centroid rule - sorry about that!
- Fixed crash when deleting an object that is an input to another object & then trying to edit it.
- Fixed crash when you clear selection in LTCX tool.
- Fixed crash when you select multiple vectors in the outliner.
- Recursive inputs no longer allowed.
Release Notes, 0.14.30
This release brings the launch of our Rule Builder & Library (!!!), adds some UI enhancements, and fixes a few small bugs.
- We released the first public version of our Rule Builder & Library, one of the biggest modules in Element Pro. Our Pro users will now have the ability to see more attributes of the lattice units in the library, and have access to more lattice units as well. This module will be updated with more parameterization and editing features soon, too!
- Surface area is now displayed in the object info of meshes.
- You can now set import STL/OBJ files in multiple units! Note that we convert all meshes to mm upon import.
- We implemented better error handling for all operations in Element, improving stability.
- We updated the 3D view to have a subtle, grey background.
- We added keyboard shortcuts to set object visibility (V) to zoom to selected (Z).
- We standardized the numbering system in the VF Lattice tool.
- We upgraded the volume calculation workflow so that it runs in the background, streamlining the Thickening workflow.
- We changed the updater interface so that it doesn't make you click "OK" when there is no update available.
- Pop-up modal windows (About, Licensing) no longer block windows outside of Element.
- Fixed a bug when editing lattices based on CAD objects.
- Fixed a bug where individual CAD bodies couldn't be saved independent of CAD objects.
- Fixed a few bugs related to editing & deleting objects.
Release Notes, 0.14.21
This update adds a number of bug fixes and small enhancements that did not make it into our last big release (0.14.19).
- We now auto-tab to the next input when you select an object in a tool. This should reduce the amount of back and forth clicking that you need to do when using tools.
- We standardized our numbering layout, adding commas between orders of magnitude in large numbers and showing only two significant digits after the period.
Generatetool now keeps the lattice you generated UNTIL you press
Generateagain. No more resetting when you update one of the text boxes.
- We smoothed out the progress bar on the
- We fixed a bug that resulted in lag when a modifier was edited.
- Fixed a bug that caused weird preview rendering in the Modifier tool.
- Fixed a bug where the program would crash when you deleted an object and then double clicked in the outliner.
- Fixed a bug where the gimbal wasn't always displaying properly in the
- Fixed a bug where vectors wouldn't clear out when the input surface was changed.
- Fixed a bug where merging two lattices, each of which had been manually edited, would fail.
- Fixed a bug where the tree view would not update when an object's input was changed.
- Improved the mesh quality from the
Release Notes, 0.14.19
This update reintegrates the manual edit tools and includes a number of enhancements and bug fixes.
- As promised, we've re-released the manual editing functionality in both Element Free and Element Pro. By using the
Manual Edittool, you can click on individual beams/nodes (or box-select them in a group) and either move or delete them manually.
- We added a warning icon in the outliner to show objects whose parents have been changed, and as a result are in a "dirty" state. If you make changes to an object, all of the objects that took it as an input will have a dirty state, and will be shown with an exclamation point next to them. To fix the issue, simply double-click on the "dirty" object and re-run the tool that was used to create it.
- All tools now contain "info" buttons in their lower left hand corners. When you click on these buttons, you're redirected to the manual page on our website that describes the functionality of the tool.
- We now support importing of CAD assemblies via Parasolid! All objects import in their correct locations.
- We changed the layout of our "Object info" windows to standardize information there and align with the rest of our design. Pretty!
- We added a secondary selection state in the object outliner - when an object is right clicked, it gets a grey outline.
- We put our lattice thickening algorith on multiple threads, allowing it to run significantly faster.
- We changed the way that we calculate volume of thick lattice objects, resulting in estimates that are more accurate.
- Fixed a bug that caused issues with the Z-Tri rule in the VF lattice tool.
- Fixed a bug that caused point modifiers to be unusable in some cases.
- Fixed a bug where
Zoom to selecteddidn't update the view.
- Fixed a bug that allowed vector modifiers to be created when no surface was selected.
- Fixed a bug that caused a crash when the generate tool was opened and closed in rapid succession.
- Fixed a bug where the
Steptool would cancel the
Warp to fittool.
- Fixed a bug that improperly claimed that certain meshes did not define a closed volume.
- Fixed a bug that allowed the user to click the
Generatebutton even when an input was not selected.
- Fixed a bug related to editing a lattice that had been generated using the
Release Notes, 0.14.13
Big improvements here! You should definitely run this update - it'll be great :)
- This update includes a BIG upgrade to our project outliner. We now display objects hierarchically, with parents (inputs to tools) low in the tree and children (outputs from tools) on top. These relationships are persistent across save/close/open, and can be hidden by collapsing the tree view arrow in the outliner. Wahoo!
- For our Element Pro users, we also added the ability to edit objects after they're created. Just double-click on an object, and the tool that created it will open with its settings shown. Edit those settings, re-generate the object, and click OK to update it. NOTE that any child objects will not automatically propogate those changes, so you'll need to reopen and re-generate them as well (we're working on automatic propogation in the near future).
- We now allow for round lattice objects to be exported as Parasolid files! Our Element Pro customers can access this feature through the
- For thickened stochastic lattices, we now give the ability to export Voronoi cell size data in XML. Just right click on a thickened stochastic lattice, go to the Object Info window, and click
- All of our tools have a new look & feel! We think it's pretty cute :)
- We rationalized our
Clean uptools, leaving just the automated methods (attractor move, valence/angle clean up). NOTE that we have temporarily removed the manual editing features from these tools - we promise to reintroduce those in the next public release.
- We split up the VF lattice tool, bringing the Vector creation over to a new
Vector Modifiertool. This allows for vectors to be created, edited, and reused on multiple vector field lattices.
- We split up the
Splittools for a bit more rational user interface.
- Objects can now be multi-selected in the outliner, allowing you to change visibility (and a few other things) much more quickly.
- We added a human readable file header to .elem files.
- Fixed a bug in our stochastic cell size calculation that led to inaccurate estimates in some cases.
Release Notes, 0.13.28
This release adds a few useful object properties for stochastic lattices and has a few UI improvements and bug fixes.
Stochastic StructuresPro module can now generate lattices with varying density! In order to make one, just create a
Modifierthat affects the regions of the part that you want to be more dense. Then select that
Modifierin the dropdown menu in the
- Based on some early feedback on our
Stochasticlattice tool, we added a few new object properties for thickened stochastic lattices! We now show minimum, maximum, and average Voronoi cell sizes, allowing you to tune the properties of your stochastic structures much more easily.
- For Element Pro users, CAD objects now display hierarchically in the object browser! We're making more upgrades to our object browser system over the next few weeks - stay tuned :)
- We added hyperlinks to all Pro modules from Element Free. Now, when you click on a Pro module's button you'll be redirected to our website to learn more about what that tool does.
- Fix beams that are sometimes outside of the input part in the
Stochastic Lattice Generator
- Fix tooltip on
Offsetthickening tool button.
- Turned on visibility of the
Offsettool buttons in Element Free.
Release Notes, 0.13.20
Oh hello! This update to Element brings an upgrade to our Stochastic Structures module, a handful of stability improvements, and a few bug fixes.
- We added Cancel buttons for the Step, Trim, & Warp features in the
Generate Latticetool. These will improve stability and (hopefully) give you a bit more control when working with lattices with a large number of beams.
- We added a link to Element's release notes in the
Aboutwindow, so that you can always find a record of the changes we've made to the program.
- We added an optional
Post Processingstep to the
Stochasticmodule, which will help clear up issues caused by meshes (and CAD files) that contain long, skinny triangles. We recommend trying to generate lattices with and without this feature, and seeing for yourself whether it's useful.
- Fixed a bug where
Stochastictool would generate beams outside of certain CAD parts.
- Fixed a bug that caused meshing problems on very small parts.
- Thick lattices generated in
Offsettool are now better quality. This was an issue on particular lattices, mostly those with near-tangent beams.
- Fixed a bug in the beam count calculation on lattice objects.
- Delete button in
Clean upis now only clickable when something is selected.
Release Notes, 0.13.16
This minor update adds a post-processing step to the
Stochastic tool, which eliminates issues when using certain types of input geometry.
- Due to customer feedback, we made a quick change to our
Stochastictool that eliminates unwanted beams that protrude outside of the input part. This occurs on some types of mesh files, typically ones with long, anisotropic triangles. We're working on other ways to control this type of behavior, and will update this tool periodically in the coming weeks.
Release Notes, 0.13.14
This update to Element adds a new Pro module (again!), updates the project/object view, and brings a few small enhancements & bug fixes.
- Stochastic Structures! This version of Element adds the first iteration of our Stochastic Structures module, which we've gotten a lot of requests about from medical & chemical users. In this version, we added the ability to create volumetric Voronoi structures of uniform density. We'll be expanding this to support variable volumetric Voronoi structures soon, and will follow up with surface Voronoi structures soon after that. To learn more or schedule a demo, send us a note to email@example.com.
- We began the process of reengineering our Project outliner this week. In this update, the project is shown in a tree view and one object type -
Modifiersare shown in a hierarchical structure with their
Pointsbelow them. We also changed the way that you see and edit Object settings; if you need to toggle visibility, for instance, you just right click on the object and then click on
Visibility. We'll be rolling all of our other Object types into the hierarchical tree view over the next few weeks, allowing you to maintain object relationships and edit each Object's parameters at any point in your design process.
Licensingwindows can now be closed by pressing the
- Offset thickened lattices are now usable as
Thick latticeobjects! This will allow for them to be more integrated into the lattice design workflow in the future.
- We added a
Mesh cleaningstep to the
Meshtool, which removes inverted shells from a part whose beam thickness causes areas of the lattice to converge into a solid. This will make the meshes that we export a bit easier to use and print.
- We added the ability to see an estimated volume of thickened lattice objects.
- Fixed a bug in the beam length calculation feature of the VF Lattice tool.
- Tool tip fixed for
- Added an icon credit in about page.
Release Notes, 0.13.6
This update to Element adds a few enhancements, two new Pro tools (woah!) and fixes some (mostly minor) bugs.
- We added a new Pro module that allows for importing CAD parts natively! The CAD module is in early development, and will see some big updates (including CAD export) in the coming weeks :) Get in touch to learn more.
- We added another Pro module (the
Offsetthickening tool) that allows for thickening beams with rectangular cross sections. Non-round cross sections is a complicated issue, but one that expands the possibilities for lattices significantly - expect updates to this later this summer!
- Added tool explanations to VF Lattice, Offset, Export Mesh, LTCX, and CAD tools. As we improve our UI, these explanations will (hopefully) become less necessary, and will eventually be offloaded to a dedicated tutorial & manual website.
- Added active states on all tool icons so you can see what tool you're using when it's open.
- Switched order of "Mesh" and "LTCX" tool icons, so that all Pro modules are on the right hand side of their tool section.
Ghostview not selectable when a tool is open.
- Fixed a bug where a tool would reset when you clicked on its icon.
- Turned off
Remove objectwhen a tool is open.
- Fix a bug in our licensing system that caused a crash when the license expired on 10th day of the month.
- Disabled GUI in trim & cleanup tools when inputs aren't selected.
- Fixed a bug in the
VF Latticetool where vector creation was screwed up after you clicked
Release Notes, 0.13.0
This update includes a significant UI facelift and a number of enhancements!
- We added the ability to invert selection on the
Trimtool, allowing you to choose whether you want to keep the beams inside - or the beams outside - of the mesh you're trimming to.
- This version of Element brings a whole new look! Gone are text-only buttons in the top bar, and in their place come descriptive icons in a (somewhat larger) ribbon. We hope this should add a bit of context to what the tools actually do, and it will also help us conserve valuable screen space as the number of tools expands over the next few months.
- We also split the
Edittool up into its component parts -
Clean up. This will reduce the number of clicks it takes to perform an operation, and makes the Edit family act a lot more like the other tools in Element. We'll be doing more work to rationalize our tools in the coming months, but don't worry - nothing's going away!
- We made some improvements to the
VF Latticetool. The big change here is in the user interface; namely, the vectors act a bit more like our Point modifiers do, and are added and edited in a similar way to the
Modifierstool. We still have a few changes coming to this tool's UI and functionality - stay tuned :)
- Lastly, we rolled the
Helpmenus into one single menu in the top left corner. If you're looking for help, go there!
- We fixed a bug in the
Trimtool that surfaced when the whole lattice would be deleted by the trim operation. Now, a pop up window appears and warns the user from deleting an entire lattice with the Trim tool.
- We fixed a bug that crashed the program when an .elem file with ONLY a lattice in it was opened.